Thursday, February 16, 2006

My Skirt...

Hi! I'm Nickie from Northern California. I've been sewing for "sew" many years that I have stopped counting. I remember when cotton was impossible to iron and limited in pretty patterns. Nowadays these textile artists have created the most remarkable designs that it is hard to choose! But my all-time favorite is Amy Butler. I look for things to make with her cottons...they are soft and beautifully milled and a joy to work with. The one pictured is from her Gypsy Caravan series. I love it and it is becoming harder to find. I took the last three yards at my local quilt shop.

I like the skirt on the left of this Kwik Sew pattern. Since I don't have enough of the Amy Butler fabric I picked out of my stash some white gauze to use for the underskirt. It's really easy...elastic waist and topstitched. I like that...no hemming, though I do have a good blind hem stitch on my sewing machine. I have a Janome 3500...it does a few decorative stitches and some stretch stitches, a good buttonhole and it's quiet. I've also just recently started using the threading mechanism and it works like a jewel. I would love to have a serger but they are so expensive I just can't justify this kind of money right now. I love Loes Hinse patterns and they really call for serging so I have to use my pinking shears in lieu of a serger.

I'm going on a cruise this Saturday and I hope to have this skirt done for that...I'll post photos when I get it done.

Nickie Posted by Picasa