Sunday, March 05, 2006

Invisible Zipper Success!

For my first skirt (oh yes, there will be more!), I decided to sew McCall's 3341, View C - a mid-length A-line skirt.



I didn't have much luck finding fabric that was both pattern-appropriate and pretty at the local fabric stores, but dug up a remnant of some nice lightweight gray wool suiting in a sale bin that I thought would make a nice skirt for work. And, as a bonus, it was only $7!

I made a few changes from the pattern, including adding a lining and installing a hidden zipper. Here are some pictures of the invisible zipper. It was surprisingly easy to install, once I figured out how to attach the special invisible zipper foot to my sewing machine. If anyone is interested, I can do a photo tutorial on how to install this type of zipper... just leave a comment and let me know!

Zipper closed:



Zipper open:



So far, I am thrilled with the way this skirt is turning out. Aside from the uber-boring fabric, everything is perfect - my husband even said it looked like something I would buy from Ann Taylor! Woohoo!

More pictures later, after I finish the hem and a few other details.