Here is my blouse for this session's sewalong. The pattern is up in the sewing room and I have forgotten the number. I believe it is a McCall's pattern. The fabric is a Westminster pattern from Victoria Wells. If you like Kaffe Fassett fabrics you will know this one. I thought it was rather kimonoish and I like the way it worked up in this pattern which has a kimono feel to it.
There are a couple of places in the instructions where I got a bit confused as to what they were refering to...the border strip being refered to as a facing caught me up short and I wasn't real happy with the way it was attached to the blouse front pieces. I had to do a bit of hand stitching here.
Also, the ties were a bit confusing as to how to
cut them. There is one long piece and then a shorter piece. Be sure and cut the long one the full length of the pattern piece and the shorter one the next shortest measurement. I had to make them over again.
Because I like finished edges and I don't have a serger, I finished the edges of the sleeves with bias tape. this also gave the sleeve a bit of crispness that I like. The interior edges I flat-felled where I could. The side edges I turned under and stitched down.
On the hems, I used a length of organdy ribbon that I had that matched and tacked down the hem with a hem stitch that I learned in college. It is pretty, lies flat and barely shows on the front.
This blouse could use a little shoulder pad but I really like the way it looks. A bit different, nice and cool on hot days and not baggy or unflattering. Quilting fabric is lovely and soft and easy to work with.
This one I will enter in the County Fair come August. Now where is that ice tea...