Thursday, August 10, 2006

Baby Quilt

I am making this quilt for a friend's daughter who gave birth to a baby boy in May. I found some sweet quilter's quarters in blue fabrics and a wonderful patterned fabric called "Animal Alphabet" that I used for some of the squares and I will also use for the binding. This fabric is in the photo below.

My inspiration came from Small Hands . She uses a lot of white to surround her blocks and I love the look of her finished quilts. I used a 4" square as the base for this little quilt and I planned on machine quilting it for time's sake. When I started to quilt inside the colored blocks, even with a lot of basting, I noticed the quilt top shifting. I had to remove a lot of my quilting. I went to a local store for guidance and came home with the best $20 I've ever spent...a walking foot! It was easy after learning how to use this new foot. But after quilting the inside of the squares I didn't know what to do with the rest of the quilt. My sister came for a visit and I asked her what I should do. She has made some beautiful quilts and with her suggestions, I machine quilted the rest of
the quilt on the diagonal! I love how it contrasts with the squares and I think it makes them stand out even more. What a great sister, eh?

So, I have the binding to do and then I will embroider his name and date of birth on the back.

I like the idea of making small quilts. I have two more ready to be cut out and with my new foot, machine quilted! Posted by Picasa