Saturday, March 18, 2006

Finito!

I can't believe I finished in time! I cut the pieces last weekend and finished up the sewing this morning. This is a great skirt (My Favorite Things), and the instructions are pretty clear.

I put on makeup for this, people

I love the panels - it makes a nice, full skirt. You actually cut eight panels, and use three for the front and five for the back. The back also has elastic in it, so you can wear it at the waist or at your hips.

Skirt closeup

I didn't buy enough fabric (1/4 yard short), so I made the skirt about two inches shorter than it was supposed to be, which turned out to be a perfect length for me. (I didn't measure - just kind of eyeballed it.) I was worried about the size, because my hips and waist didn't even come close to matching up on the chart. I went with the hips, and I'm glad I did. It would have been too big otherwise.

I considered doing a blind hem stitch, but I just wanted to finish, and I like the way the zigzag looks across the bottom. Next time, I think I'll use 1/2" elastic instead of the 1" - it had to fold it in half to get it through the waistband.

Will I make this skirt again? You bet! I already have enough fabric for two more...