Sunday, July 16, 2006

Straggler.

For some reason, this past month has totally flown away from me! I didn't think I'd have enough time to make the blouse project, so I kinda gave up on making the deadline.

So there I was last night, sitting in front of the teevee and thinking I would knit, and something suddenly possessed me to bring out the machine and whip out Simplicity 4589.

I bought this pattern precisely because I've seen so many of you make it, and I've loved every single one. I've also been inspired by all the recycling I see everyone doing, from vintage fabric to old duvet covers, so I decided to use this silk that I scavenged from a Goodwill scarf. I was thinking when I bought it that it would make a cool purse lining, but I'm glad I decided to let it see the light of day.



It looks like those Italian millefiore paperweights, doesn't it? It had a tag that said it was a Smithsonian scarf, and fringe that I cut off. There was just enough fabric for my pattern pieces. :-)





It wasn't as easy-peasy as I wanted (for one thing, I didn't buy enough black cotton sateen for the facings, but that was my own dumb fault), but I do love the finished product! It's perfect for a hot Texas day like today, floating about my body and disguising my muffin-top.