Thursday, March 02, 2006

Finished Betsy Ross #001

I've finally finished my skirt. For pictures, please follow this link. (I am far from tech savvy, and don't dare play with Hello - my picture sharing software - to make it post to a different blog for fear of never getting it back to its original settings again.)

I'm very happy with how it turned out, but I did run into a few problems along the way. When I pulled on the skirt last night for this picture, the zipper pull came right off. My zipper was useless. I sat and struggled with it for twenty minutes, trying to get it back on, and finally ended up cutting a small slit near the bottom of the zipper to rethread the second side. When I put in my zipper I had to cut it to size. Does anyone know how to best secure the top so this won't happen again???

If you haven't gotten to the hemming bit yet, I have a piece of advice: make sure you have the appropriate foot for your machine for hemming. I didn't, so I decided to do it by hand. Big mistake. It looks pretty nice, but it took me FOREVER to hem the bottom and stitch the waistband down. That one task took longer than the whole rest of the skirt, including the zipper. Rest assured, I have a hemming foot now and will surely be utilizing it in the future :)

I can't wait for the next project to be announced!!!