Friday, February 03, 2006

Melissa's Intro

Hi guys!

My name is Melissa and I have to say that this sew-along is coming along at just the right time! I've been thinking about dusting off my machine for some time now, but haven't had the motivation to just do it.

I've been sewing on and off for about 12 years now. But when I say off, I mean off! I studied Fashion Design at the Fashion Institute in NYC and I used to sew alot, well at least for my first two years of school. I used to love checking out all the different fabric stores in midtown and had so many grand ideas for clothes. I never had much time to sew for myself anyway and then my world changed - I started knitwear specialization!

So now I've been out of school for almost 4 years and haven't touched my sewing machine in 6! I used to be pretty good, but who knows if it will be like riding a bike! Luckily, because of my course work, I have tons of reference books on patternmaking, draping, and sewing - that should be a big help! I also hope that this can serve as a good resource to all of you!

Still deciding on what to make. I'm thinking about drafting my own pattern, but it takes so long and I think I lost all my old slopers from school. Buying a pattern is so much easier and the fit is usually right on. So now I'm off to the fabric stores! Yay!